News
New to our community? Hit 'Register' in the top right corner!
[F1GRID LOGO PLACEHOLDER – *DO NOT DELETE*]
Formula 1 Discussion & Infos
Register Now!

The train wreck that is Williams

Discussion about: The train wreck that is Williams
F1Fan1
Staff Team Registered
Most companies have finance problems these years days, Brad. It's this life and expensive world we live on. My favourite hobby manufacturer, Hornby Hobbies (Practically the model railway brand, Hornby), have had financial difficulties for the past few years. Thankfully they are still going and the future of the company seems stable for now. At times it was hit and miss if they would survive or not. Off topic, I know but it happens to very one; Big company or not.

F1Fan1

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
It's weird to think that in 2014 Williams were challenging for victory on a few occasions and almost always for podiums. Now they just prop up the field.

Either way though it'll be a sad day when they leave. It's always bad for a team to leave F1 and the fact it's a team with 9 constructors championships is depressing.

Reactions: F1Fan1
Nerdface
Registered
I really hope that Williams don't exit the sport, but it's a struggle to see how they can revive themselves and indeed survive.

Then again, Sauber appeared to be in dire straights a few seasons ago and they've been revived since cancelling the Honda deal and tightening their Ferrari bond.

Let's hope that something similar can come to fruition for Williams.. (but who?)

VFan17
Staff Team Registered
I don't know, Sauber is a good comparison, but would Williams go down that route? I thought Claire Williams turned down outsourcing a gearbox because they're Williams, so I get the feeling they might fall on their own sword.

I can't see Ferrari, Red Bull/Honda or Renault being interested. Maybe Mercedes but are they willing to invest more money and will Williams want that? I don't see anyone outside being interested, even Sauber wasn't that far off with a year old engine.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but after finishing 2 and 3 laps down I argue I've got a good reason to be

Nerdface
Registered
You're probably right @VFan17, the BMW partnership went south pretty quickly because Williams wanted to do things either their way, or no way.

I don't think a current suppler would be interested; Mercedes seem to have pretty close ties with Racing Point. It'd have to be someone new, which we all know how that went with Honda coming late to the party.. Perhaps the upcoming regulation changes in 2021 would be a good opportunity to aim for where that is concerned. Maybe someone like Toyota.

Reactions: F1Fan1 and VFan17
bogaaaa
Registered
I honestly believe Frank has some form of dementia after watching the Williams doco on Netflix and finds the whole sinking of Williams quite amusing!!!

bogaaaa
Registered
Most companies have finance problems these years days, Brad. It's this life and expensive world we live on. My favourite hobby manufacturer, Hornby Hobbies (Practically the model railway brand, Hornby), have had financial difficulties for the past few years. Thankfully they are still going and the future of the company seems stable for now. At times it was hit and miss if they would survive or not. Off topic, I know but it happens to very one; Big company or not.

F1Fan1
Yes if it wasn't for billionaires burning their money on F1 we would not have a grid..always been this way..on behalf of us fans thank God for rich people who are F1 tragics...